Effective June 1, 2014, the Marshalltown law firm of Moore, McKibben, Goodman ans Lorenz, LLP, will merge with the Toledo law firm of Mickelson, Roan and Appelgate.
The Toledo law firm of Mickelson, Roan and Appelgate was established by M. G. Mickelson in 1948, and in 1958, James E. Roan joined the practice. John Werner practiced law with the Mickelson and Roan law firm from 1973 to 1979 when he went to the Iowa Attorney General's Office and later the law firm of Grefe and Sidney in Des Moines. Dennis D. Appelgate joined Mickelson & Roan law firm in 1978 and in 2000 became sole owner of Mickelson, Roan and Appelgate.
M.G. Mickelson died in 1986.
John Werner returned to Toledo in 2005, establishing John Werner, PLC, within the Mickelson, Roan and Appelgate office. John continues to practice and hopes to retire in the very near future.
Jim Roan retired from the practice in 2000, but remains an active member of the community and continues to come into the office on a regular basis to work on miscellaneous community projects.
Dennis practiced law until his untimely passing in January.
The Marshalltown law firm of Moore, McKibben, Goodman and Lorenz, LLP, was founded by Benjamin Franklin Cummings in 1885, and the firm has been serving clients in central Iowa continuously since that time. There are currently nine lawyers practicing in the firm, James P. Moore, Larry E. McKibben, James L. Goodman, William J. Lorenz, Douglas W. Beals, Michael R. Horn, Norma J. Meade, Sean K. Heitmann and Brandon W. Ruopp.
Like the law firm of Mickelson, Roan & Appelgate, it is a general practice law firm, with emphasis on ag and business law, income taxes, estate planning and probate, commercial law, family law and criminal law.
The law firm will continue in its present location at 120 East High Street in Toledo and lawyers are now taking appointments at that location. The current staff of Sharlene Appelgate, Barb Jordan and Joni Simpson will continue to serve the clients and the law firm.